Devon Cornwall SWUK;
Future partner Potential;
Work Solo or Part of a team;
4 Law Firm career opportunities;
One retained executive search booked and starts June 2014.
Four law firm clients based in the SWUK are looking to appoint a specialist construction and buildings lawyer. The positions vary from partner potential, “Starting off a new department from inception, this opportunity is for an ambitious local law firm”. Additionally another larger law firm client seek to appoint a 1/3 year PQE professional in their busy corporate and private client dispute resolution department, working on both contentious and non-contentious cases. For the senior partner potential role, a client following would be ideal but not essential.
• To provide an efficient and cost effective legal service of the highest quality to the clients of the firm and thereby to enhance the profitability of the department.
• To contribute towards the organisation and motivation of individuals and teams towards departmental goals.
• To be responsible for ensuring the effective performance management of any direct reports, including the identification of training and development needs.
• To be responsible for ensuring compliance with Law Society rules and regulations.
• To contribute towards the firm’s overall business strategy and objectives.
• To maintain and enhance relationships with existing and future clients by using strong interpersonal and professional skills.
• To develop new business with clients.
• To meet the budgetary and time recording targets agreed by the firm.
• To assist in the marketing and business development of the firm, promoting the firm’s strengths and recommending the wider services offered.
• To develop strong interpersonal relationships with Partners and staff at all levels.
• To use the firm’s resources cost effectively and with minimum waste.
• To share, manage and exploit the firm’s knowledge in order to ensure efficient systems and improved services.
• To comply with The Law Society’s Solicitors’ Accounts Rules and The Guide to Professional Conduct of Solicitors.
• To improve and develop the firms standards of quality and efficiency.
• To ensure the effective management of client files, including financial aspects.
• Perform a coaching and mentoring role where appropriate.
• Manage and supervise secretarial support and other fee earners where appropriate.
• Comply with Firm’s procedures and manuals.
• Comply with the responsibilities and accountabilities set out in the ‘Criteria for Promotion’ guide for Solicitor to Associate status.
• Any other duties as may be required and consistent with the job role and responsibilities.
Work Experience Should Include:
• Common law underpinning construction contacts.
• Source, rationale and nature of key terms (Scope, cost, quality, time, variation).
• Implication of terms.
• Mistake, frustration, breach, causation and loss.
• Operation and administration of Standard Form Contracts (SFCs).
• Comparison liabilities between SFCs.
• Consideration of key terms in SFCs.
• Contract Administration.
• Industry specific legislation on construction contracts.
• Legal complexities and commercial risks
• Design liability.
• Contribution and contributory negligence.
• Dispute resolution methods, including litigation, arbitration and ADR (mediation DRBs, early neutral evaluation, conciliation and expert determination).
• Statutory adjudication.
• Alternative contractual frameworks including partnering strategies and e-procurement.
• Detailed consideration of Public/Private procurement strategies and procedures.
• EU procurement.
• UK and EU law governing the protection and the restoration of the environment.
• Planning law.
• Pollution (contaminated land, water pollution, integrated pollution prevention, nature conservation).
• ‘Green buildings’, energy efficiency and environmental liability.
Personal Skills we will be looking for:
• Ability to empathise, understand and relate to the needs of clients.
• Ability to prioritise.
• Time management skills.
• Project management skills.
• Co-operative and a team player.
• Flexible and adaptable in approach
• Organised and detail conscious.
• Lateral thinking and problem solving skills.
• Influencing and negotiation skills.
• Ability to cope with pressure.
• Knowledge of relevant area of law.
• Total commitment to Client Care.
• Coaching and mentoring skills.
• Skills and qualities set out in promotion criteria to Associate status.
Experience and Qualifications that we are seeking to find:
• Suitably qualified and experienced solicitor.
• Establishing a specialist reputation and fame.
• Any other qualifications required in support of legal specialism.
• Law Society Management Course Stage 1.
• Other in-house management development courses in support of the firm’s promotion criteria.
For further details please contact Jonny Scott-Slater or Ashley Armstrong LLB;
Telephone 01872 274227;
CV2 – email@example.com
Confidentiality is assured at all times.